Wednesday, March 22, 2017



Arctic Air
March 22 2017


In the dry cold
of a high pressure system
each star is sharply etched,
sky black
as absolute zero.

Where the planets wander
among the stars
just as the ancients saw them;
Mars, tinged with red
the silver-blue of Venus.

Where shooting stars streak
then silently extinguish.
A cosmic mote of dust
turned super-heated fireball
in the planet's outer atmosphere,
some primordial rock
after billions of years.
Our eggshell-thin layer of air;
its molecules, so lightly held
diffusing-out into space.

Where the slender slip
of a crescent moon
dangles like a sky-hook.
In its curve
a silhouette of earth,
the planet-sized shadow
of our only home.
And its ghostly rim
you can only discern
if you look and look;
its oceans of dust, blasted calderas
subsumed in gradations of grey.

I briefly glanced up
before the porch light triggered
and the universe instantly shrunk.
Just me
in my murky penumbra of light
brought quickly back to earth.



I'm playing around with perspective here, widening and narrowing the aperture; and in so doing, incidentally exposing the fragility of life on earth. This is a familiar trope in my poetry: insignificant man, in all his self-importance, in a cold indifferent universe. I'm not thrilled to be so predictable and tiresome. But in my defence, I rarely start out wanting to say this; I just can't seem to help coming back to it!

The sky has been quite spectacular lately: cold dry arctic air has settled in, and it acts like a clarifying lens. Except I'm aware that most people never look up. Or if they do, light pollution lets them see little. I have the privilege of living with relatively unobstructed skies. I thought of this again when I was recently talking with my brother, who lives in the greater Toronto area: I mentioned the waxing of a fabulous full moon; he was oblivious. Which gave me the closing paragraph, and which – I modestly submit ;-) – makes the poem.

The title is a bit of misdirection. But I think legitimately and effectively sets the scene. 

No comments: