Saturday, September 5, 2015

My Team
Sept 3 2015


My team
is on a late-season run,
showing some promise
after 2 futile decades
of false starts
and broken-hearted fans.

Men will understand
the possessive pronoun.
The tribal loyalty.
The identification
with something greater than ourselves.
The sense of community;
total strangers
in team regalia,
nodding knowingly
touching our caps as we pass.
How players
less than half my age
can be revered as demigods.

We believe.
We bleed
Blue Jay blue.
We parse stats, plays, moves
like diviners tossing bones
reading entrails.

I know I go on
about the beauty of the game,
the character and skill
the manly etiquette.
Knowing all along that they are grown men
playing at being boys.
Are mercenaries,
selling themselves
to the highest bidder.

Still, we need to part of something bigger.
Something pure, and beautiful.
Something evergreen with hope;
the next play
tomorrow's game,
that blissful championship
we let ourselves imagine
reckless, or not.

How odd
that the players get younger every year.
And odder still
that our boyhood greats
could have aged so much so fast,
limping and stooped and overweight
as they take their pre-game bows.

Now there is yoga, diet, the science of sport.
But the rules
handed-down like Commandments
are just as eternal.
And the grass still gleams, just as verdant.
And taciturn managers
still spit and chew and curse.
While the announcer uses words
like an inadvertent poet,
his southern drawl
as languid as August.

The season dwindles, as summer fades.
A championship year, perhaps.
Or a crushing collapse,
and a bleaker winter
of if-onlys, what-ifs
missed chance.

But there will always be spring,
when hope is freshly made
and no one's lost a game
and we're all tied for first.
Opening Day,
when we'll wait for the ump to brush-off the plate
then step-up and holler Play Ball!!



I love baseball, and could write elegiac poems about the game just as I could write dog poems: every day. So please appreciate my restraint!

We've just begun the last month of the season, and they're hanging on to first place. But I've been disappointed enough to know I shouldn't get my hopes up. (After all, it's actually been 22 years, not 2 decades!) In a month or so, I may look back on this piece, punch the air, and jubilantly cry "Nailed it!" Or I may be full of regret, perhaps imagining I jinxed the team: like the ball-players we idolize, fans can be just as superstitious.

The poem doesn't specifically mention baseball. (At least until the last line, and if you ignore Blue Jay blue.) But I don't really want to share these sentiments with other sports. Especially soccer (or, for you purists, "football" or "footie"). I can't tell you how much I hate that its fans have the temerity to call soccer "the beautiful game". Kicking a ball? Into a net? That's it?!!! If any sport deserves that encomium, it's baseball. I am repeatedly amazed at the perfection of the diamond, the athleticism of its players, the timelessness of the game itself. In the poem, I use "beauty" once, then "beautiful" once more. Again, heroic self-restraint!

No comments: