Thursday, December 12, 2013


Sophie Miriam
Dec 12 2013


My nephew
is a new father.
A baby
who has thrilled everyone,
placid amidst
all the flutter and fuss.
A girl, in a family of boys,
full of wonder
that such a strange creature
has appeared among us.

So we recalibrate our identities,
as the generations
ratchet up a notch.
My delighted older brother,
who feels too young
to be the grandfather.
His other sons,
now uncles
but hardly avuncular.

And I, a great uncle
who wasn’t much of an uncle at all,
proclaimed “great”
by simply waiting
while everyone else grew up.

I realize
she’ll be a young lady
when I am old and frail.
When I will be a vague presence,
a shadowy planet
in irregular orbit
in the outer reaches of her solar system,
and she will know, in some out-of-focus way
we are related,
but not quite sure.

Like my parents’ aged relations,
who visited rarely
and whom I never quite placed,
living faraway
somewhere west.
Of whom all I remember
is old people smell,
the cloying sweetness
of too much perfume.
The fastidious nose
of solipsistic youth.

A newborn child
is like a cooling planet
at the beginning of time,
unformed
and infinitely malleable.
A primordial earth,
with all the makings
of intelligent life.

While for me, if not the rest
gravity is waning.
Pushed closer to the past, than the future
I feel left behind,
a background grey
to her brilliant newness.
My joy, tinged with sadness
to be a minor asteroid
around a golden sun,
circling even further out.




I apologize for this poem. Talk about solipsistic! It seems terribly unworthy to write a poem about my beaming nephew's newborn daughter, and then descend into self-pity over my age, which is merely a state of mind; or over my peripheral involvement, which is wholly self-inflicted.

(Not to mention I may also be guilty of torturing that astronomical metaphor!)

Still, I think "tinged with sadness" is generally valid, if left mostly unsaid. We all re-calibrate. A new generation slightly displaces the last. And I know my brother does not want anyone to refer to him as a "grandfather", delighted as he is to be one.

Anyway, this is where my stream of consciousness took me. So as unflattering as it may be, there must be some truth here. I vaguely remember great uncles and aunts. Or second cousins. Or whatevers once removed. They infrequently visited on important family occasions, but I never really knew where they or I fit in. All I remember is they were usually quite old (which doesn't seem nearly so old now!), and a bit alien. So the realization hits home that I will be a vague presence somewhere out in the dark reaches of her outer solar system. That I will be an old man when she comes of age, and this is the only way she will know me. (Although I will try hard not to smell bad!)

I actually think this is a generous exercise, as much as it is self-involved: that is, to momentarily displace oneself from the centre of the universe, and inhabit someone else's world view. And it’s not that I resent the young, or envy them their youth: because we were all young once; because we all briefly got to be the apple of everyone's eye; and because in the long view of a nihilist like me, we are all contemporaneous -- the distinction between young and old is a mere conceit, so fleeting as to be meaningless. And ultimately, in taking joy, I get to inhabit her newness as well.

So while my descent into solipsism may seem churlish and self-absorbed, it is only one small part of how I feel. But the part worth writing about; since the shared joy is so obvious and universal that it's all been said before. And anyway, I'm not sure I can write a celebratory poem (the "occasional poem", as it is formally called) without becoming overly-sentimental and clichéd. In my hands, it will probably come out more like a Hallmark card than poetry!


No comments: