Friday, November 8, 2013

Driving Song
Nov 7 2013


You could just make out my head
in the back row
of the grade school choir,
where I was eventually told
to mouth the words.
Look like you mean it, she said.

Now, at home games
I fake the anthem,
my pinched voice
vaguely wavering
in a rough approximation
of notes.

But in my sound-proof box
on cruise control
I belt it out, full-throat,
a back-up singer, in perfect voice.
In the thin traffic of farm country
when a driving song comes on
all is harmony,
making long lonesome notes
around a single microphone
with Bill Munro, and the Blue Grass Boys,
or a Red Rider
on Life is a Highway
high-fiving Tom.

If you happened to pass
my glass-walled studio
you’d see me in song,
mouthing along
my inaudible words,
one hand
absent-mindedly drumming.
Accompanied by the white noise
of rushing air
the thrum of rubber
the engine’s steady hum;
muffled sound, out-run
as I throttle up.

I crack a window
to a blast of wind
so I can’t even hear myself.
This is fabulous, I think,
singing with all my heart.


There are some songs that are perfect driving songs; and the best example I can think of is Tom Cochrane’s Life is a Highway. I’m not a big fan of rock or pop; but that would lift anyone. I wonder how many speeding tickets that one song is responsible for?

For those of us who are singing-impaired, the car is the safest place to let loose. I may be badly out of tune; but cruising down the highway, it sounds like perfect harmony to me!


No comments: