Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Sense of Place
May 18 2013


When I see a map of the continent
my eyes are drawn
here.

Zero-in
on the Great Lakes,
you might mistake
for a squashed bug,
right of centre, a little up.
Where I feel grounded, right away,
that warm flush, a sense of place
on the upper edge
of Lake Superior.

They say backwater, middle-of-nowhere
remote,
compared to the great metropolis, cosmopolitan coast
where important things get done.
Fly-over country;
unplumbed
at 30,000 feet.

Place shouldn't matter so much.
After all, we are defined
by people,
entangled, embedded, embraced.
But everyone needs to feel at home,
find a landscape
that resonates, and consoles.

I see forest and lake
hear the rustle of leaves.
See rushing water
on its way to the sea;
seeking its level, coming to rest;
salt, freshened by sweet.

See the line of darkness
approach from the east
and suddenly feel the speed;
as if riding the earth
as it steadily turns
into night.
This magnificent sphere
suspended in space
in all its ponderous grace,
the precise choreography
of gravity
and place.

Where I hover, weightless
looking down.
See the beacon of light
on the shore of the lake,
darkness all around.



I like the way this poem telescopes in and out: from the local landscape, celebrating nature, all the way to the astronomical. And I like the way it evokes (or at least tries to evoke) a sense of place that is both spiritual and geographic.

I'm a regular viewer of The Daily Show. On the set, behind Jon Stewart, is a large illuminated world map. And every day, I find my eyes inexorably drawn to that little squashed bug -- over his right shoulder -- where I drop an imaginary pin, exactly here. So, is this pride? Or is this insecurity, a desperate need for validation and recognition? Other than that, I've always had a fascination with maps; the older the better. On Antiques Roadshow, for example (yes, more TV!), I find myself especially excited when a vintage map or atlas comes up; and then find myself despairing at how undervalued they almost always are.

The poem began when I was reading an article on modern cartography: how imaginative maps have become; how artists and geographers use them to convey all sorts of unexpected or esoteric information. The piece also made a point of the importance of sense of place: how idiosyncratically each of us would fill in the outline of the same geographic space.

When you see us in satellite pictures, at night, we really are a solitary dot of light, surrounded by darkness. So, are we isolated and remote? Or could we just as well be the centre, and everyone else remote from us?!!

No comments: