Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Small Green Garter
Feb 2 2011

I held a snake
once.
Weaving through my fingers, coiling up.
The God-given fear of leglessness
momentarily overcome.

That darting tongue, tasting my scent.
The long muscular body
writhing like a live wire
or instant death.

A small green garter
we called “gardener”;
young men, as yet unfamiliar
with fetish, and fashion
temptation, attraction,
the hooks and fasteners
of fussy lingerie.

I was surprised by his dryness,
the pleasant roughness, touching.
Even the sense of oneness
with another living creature,
however alien
and unknowable.
Snakes, spouting poison,
unhinged jaws
downing furry rabbits whole.
Slithering up the pants
of unsuspecting boys.

I dropped him just-like-that,
and he shimmied off, whip-fast
wanting no part of me.
The mythic beast
condemned to belly through the dirt
for his fatal deceit.
Whose only real weapon, it turns out
is concealment.

Is this reptilian thing
evil by nature?
Or a moral agent, like us
capable of sin;
transgressing at will
repenting unheard?

No comments: