Saturday, November 21, 2020

The Only Animal That Cries - Nov 20 2020

 

The Only Animal That Cries

Nov 20 2020


We are the only animal that cries.


Although rats laugh when they're tickled,

even if it's far too high

for us to hear.


And I could swear my dog smiles,

but am told I merely project,

and that a dog showing her teeth

means beware.


Of course, dust gets in your eye.

And who doesn't tear up

when the sun is bright

the pollen high?


And then the ones who can't recall

when last they did.

The warm salty tang.

The rush of feeling

and lost control.

The exquisite relief,

followed by embarrassment

to have felt so exposed.


A dam breaks

and whole cities are washed away.

So they are made parabolic

to hold the pent-up weight.

And then there are deserts

where all at once it rains;

when the barrens bloom

painting the land,

and rivers rage

scouring out the sand.


If I were only geometric

and could somehow hold back,

not one

to let the current take me

or let my colours show.

Wary

of letting the dam break

the pent-up weight it holds.


After so many years

of staring into the sun,

so many more

it was wet and cold.

A hard rain

I fear might overflow.



By not crying, I of course mean emotional crying. All animals produce tears; but only humans cry.

The New Yorker publishes a series of essays under the heading Personal History. This one appeared in the Nov 16, 2020 edition. Like the author, I was also raised to be stoic, undemonstrative, restrained. She doesn't often cry, and neither do I. Not alone or in public. I can't remember the last time I did. Immediately after reading Yiyun Li's piece, this poem came to me.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/16/the-ability-to-cry


Here's something that further elaborates on the opening line.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21628932-400-tragic-tears-why-we-are-the-only-animals-that-cry/


No comments: