Friday, August 16, 2019


Outlier
Aug 16 2019


Mid-August
and I couldn't help but notice
a sprinkling of yellowed leaves
along the densely wooded shore.

It seems unfair, this portent of autumn
in our too short summers
that seem to end before they've begun.

Fall approaching
and I'm still looking forward
to that deliriously bone-sapping scorcher,
when you can barely move for the heat
and air is too heavy to breathe
and simply shifting around in your seat
has you in a sweat.

But this is the resilience
that diversity confers  —
the outlier leaf
turning unnaturally early,
the durable one
that persists through fall.
Nature prepares herself
for whatever calamity happens;
adapting
to infestation and weather
the malignant presence of man.

So if uniformity is death
difference is strength.

Like the straggler, we also saw.
A gaggle of healthy ducklings
paddling furiously after their mother
as our lone canoe approached.
Except for one,
who remained on a small glistening rock
surrounded by water
intently watching us.

A singular bird
who is either stupid or slow
or curious and brave.
Reassuring, in a way
for those who don't fit in.
That we are nature's advance scouts,
out testing the margins
and carrying the seeds of survival
whatever change transpires.



Out paddling with the pups again, after a few days of unwelcome weather. I found myself a bit demoralized, seeing that scattering of yellowed leaves. But also reassured when we encountered a big brood of healthy ducklings: a 2nd clutch this summer, which tells me that the lake is healthy, and that good mothers count for a lot. There was also a rinsed-clean rainbow – something I haven't seen in forever – arcing through the sky as the sun set at our back and the storm clouds cleared.

I somehow managed to shoehorn the first two into a poem. I guess the rainbow – really, an inexcusable cliche anyway – will have to wait for inspiration.

Paleontologists have identified a population bottleneck near the beginning of human evolution when our number was reduced to as low as 100 individuals. We big-brained home sapiens alive today owe our existence to those outliers: the ones endowed with some quirk of body or mind that allowed them to survive some environmental catastrophe. It is this great reserve of diversity, hidden in our recessive genes, that has allowed our line to carry on – no matter what.

The poem mentions “the malignant presence of man”: once again, I couldn't help my essential misanthropy coming through! I have little doubt our species will survive anthropogenic climate change, as unprecedented in speed and scope as it is. But I certainly have my doubts as to whether our civilization will. Culture, I suspect, is not nearly as durable as nature.

No comments: