Sunday, July 28, 2019


Demarcation
July 26 2019


Paddling
into the wind-shadow
in the small island's lee
its battered trees leaning
exposed rock
thin tenacious soil,
the sudden calm startled me.
The roar of wind lifted
and only silence remained,
as the tension left my body
the canoe drifted lazily
my hands released their grip.

Alone with my thoughts
in this unlikely oasis of peace,
snuggling in
behind its gently curving shore.

We crave interludes like this,
where time time slows
ambition wanes
and our dubious labours
reap their just rewards.

In a wind as stiff as this
the line is sharp
between the protected lee
and open water.
If only life
were as unambiguously ruled.

I look down
at my blurred reflection
in the flatly mirrored surface
pondering 
my imperfect self.

Lean back
and look out at the churning lake,
its darkened surface
white-flecked waves.
Cats-paws that race,
touching down
then spinning out.

The only way home
is back through the squall.
So I gather myself
tighten my grip
brace my knees.

Nose out
over that hard line of demarcation
and feel the wind's powerful hand
grab the bow
whip it around
scoot me down before it.

Overpowering
my futile stroke.





This is the time of year when I'm out in the canoe a lot. Paddling solo, accompanied by the dogs. They mostly swim, cruise through the shallows, or deke along the shore; where I'm sure, by now, they've created their own rough paths through the dense underbrush. Poems sometimes come to mind as I paddle.

Rhythmic activities like this are good for getting lost in thought. Like walking. Or X-C skiing on consistent terrain, when your body finds its pace and your mind drifts off. Or swimming, especially in open water, when you can settle into autopilot without the distraction of bulkheads and buoy lines.

Eddying out of a stiff wind into the calm lee of an island is such a great relief. A time to pause, to sit back and gather yourself, to enjoy the scenery. Rare “time-out” moments like this occur in life, as well; moments to be cherished and explored; moments for introspection. It wouldn't have been enough to have written a poem of simple description. Especially one with which most readers wouldn't easily identify. So it needed to be rescued with a more ambitious allusion. I hope that attempt at a more universal and accessible message doesn't strike the reader as over-reach or pretension.

No comments: