Sunday, September 23, 2018


Angkor Wat
Sept 21 2018


The beauty of the old barn
was not its wide weathered planks
cut from the tall trees
that are now mostly gone.
Not the dusty light
shafting through the cracks
in its vast dim interior,
nor the iron implements
with their glorious patina of rust
scattered on its soft dirt floor.

No, it was the muscular trees
grunting-up through the roof,
persistent shrubs
like a garland of green
constricting its walls.
The waist-high grass, going to seed
and lapping at its foundations.

The old building, so graceful in decline
as it slumped back to earth
with a kind of louche beauty,
returning to the soil
subsumed in the land.

Like a lost Mayan city
swamped by feverish jungle.
Or Angkor Wat,
its stagnant moats
with their murky algal bloom,
mossy stone, verdant green on grey.
Its stately courtyards
over-run
by great tropical hardwoods.

How much more beautiful
is the work of man
as nature reclaims it,
so pathetic in its transience
and awesome in its grace.
Like a sun-dried ancient, at peace with his fate,
whose paper-thin skin
is almost translucent
and whose brittle bones have shrunk,
peering out
through rheumy eyes
with world-weary wisdom.



Such an odd origin story to this poem.

In the latest Atlantic (October 2018), in the recurring feature called The Big Question, they called out for nominations for The Eighth Wonder of the World. The submissions are both solicited by the editors and open to the reading public. This one was first in the list:


Vanessa Hua, author, A River of Stars
Angkor Wat is where my husband proposed to me at dawn, the sky rosy and golden over the spires reflected in the moat. With its stunning bas-reliefs and crumbling temples in eternal battle with banyan trees, the temple complex inspires awe and contemplation of the sweep of history and the atrocities of war.


My response to this description was immediate and evocative. It recalled a persistent theme of mine, man vs nature: that is, our presumption of control and conceit of posterity. For some reason I pictured an old falling-down barn and the encroachment of the natural landscape. This poem was the result, and pretty much wrote itself. As I said to one of my first readers, “pretty much ...passing through my hand as if I were taking dictation.”

I should note the more literal and less vernacular use of “awesome”: an over-used and debased word that I'm pleased to reclaim. I was also gratified to find a use for one of my favourite words, “louche”. I like its connotation of slightly disrespectful seediness and of letting oneself go. I discern a kind of sexual energy in its implication of looseness and surrender.

No comments: