Wednesday, July 25, 2018


Inland Sea
July 23 2018


I forgot its salt.
Its caustic brine
its cloying sating stickiness.
A glistening bead, like mercury
but red.

I am an inland sea, confined to flesh.
And, like water, seek my level
pour myself out
conform to the shape
of whatever contains me.

The ocean seems eternal,
lapping at the shore
with hypnotic regularity.
Contains multitudes
we rarely see.

While I am mortal
and singular;
a solid-seeming form, who bleeds
so much more
than I thought possible.



This poem started with the first drop of blood from a nosebleed. It was inspired by this poem, which appeared in the July 23 2018 edition of The New Yorker:

The Pond


The world is in short supply. This field of goldenrod will never be enough, and the ocean feels suddenly crossable. In every apple an orchard waits, but who has twenty years to cultivate it? Above our house, the contrails of the jets have turned into actual clouds. The rain they promise is another lie. Meanwhile, the taste of my blood implies that I am rusting, that a broken machine lies half-submerged in the pond I carry with me.


No comments: