Tuesday, November 21, 2017


Children Safe in Bed
Nov 19 2017


On a still winter day
on a solitary walk
into dark brooding forest
I stop,
contemplating silence.

But even here
the squeak of cold dry snow
crunching underfoot.
The rush
of my own hot blood
pulsing in my ears.
Frigid air
funnelling through
my dripsniffling nose.

Or pause, chopping wood
sweating in the cold.
The crack of an axe
on seasoned wood
that splits clean and true;
the hollow ring
as pieces land
on a solid concrete pad.

And anarchic thoughts
that ricochet and multiply
despite me,
making their own insistent noise.
A cacophony of voices
out here in the wilderness
as loud as city streets;
demanding attention
yet desperate for rest.

The succession of stars
as darkness deepens
in the silent vacuum of space.
Wood-smoke, curling-up
a roof groaning with snow,
a crackling fire, shedding sparks
and children safe in bed.
But still, the sounds in my head
I am helpless against.

As the body in which I live
does its unseeable work.

As my mind rambles on
its desultory walk
through a still and darkened woods.

As the axe drops
of its own weight
and my hands come up again.

Only the rhythm
of a steady gait
to ground me.
The regular thunk of the axe
keeping body and soul in step.


No comments: