Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Beneath the Snow
Jan 24 2016


The land is dormant
beneath the snow.

I imagine dry white powder,
immaculate crystals
trapping air
in a lattice fine as lace.

I have dug myself in
or avalanched under;
a snow angel
lying flat, looking up.

The weight
is holding my eyelids shut,
as if a steady finger
had drawn them firmly closed.
Fixed gaze
mercifully covered.

It’s surprisingly warm
beneath that thick white quilt,
and in the low light
and muffled wind
I am adrift.

Heat rises
from the centre of the earth
the living soil.
On the hard surface
skittish mice scurry and burrow and sniff
with the constant worry of prey.
Deeper down, worms rest
and roots are fat from fall.
Subterranean water flows
through cracks in the rock,
where caves drip
and strata shift
imperceptibly.

The democracy of snow
has levelled the world
concealing its imperfection.
I, too, dwell underneath;
suspended
in this liminal place
as near as death can be.

Depending
on the alchemy of cold
to keep.



Beautiful white powder today. I thought about the perfect insulation it makes. (Or at least before it becomes corrupted by freeze and thaw; is packed down or blown off.) I wanted to burrow in and wrap it around me like a cozy quilt.

I also heard a news item about refugee children from the Middle East:  how they had seen snow for the first time, and were utterly thrilled to toboggan like the fully “Canadian” kids they’ll soon become.

But there is also a big storm on the East coast, and people are freezing, crashing, and snow-stayed.

So snow is a two-edged sword. It conveys both beauty and peril, adversity and fun.

I begin the poem just as I said:  burrowing into the snow; lying at rest with the earth at my back and a blanket of snow above me. And from there, the poem proceeds in a state of suspended animation, hovering between life and death. And then there are the other forces that contend:  warm and cold, beauty and threat, earth and air. And the poem ends with the contradiction of hypothermia:  wanting the snow to keep me warm; needing the cold to save me.

I enjoyed my excavation down through the earth (in the stanza that begins with Heat rising). Because I think this is a good example of how the poetic imagination works:  it takes us to unseeable places; it encourages us to be unrushed and observe closely.


But I think my favourite part is The democracy of snow/ has levelled the world/ concealing its imperfection. (Even though I’ve shamelessly plagiarized myself with democracy of snow. But as I’ve said before when this has happened:  I’ve given myself permission to keep returning to a device or image or turn of phrase until I finally get it right!) I like how the “levelling” and the “concealing” are quickly followed by the image of me under the snow:  still, quiet, unseen.

No comments: