Tuesday, April 20, 2010


Wild Horses
April 20 2010


I want to save the wild horses.
Not that I ride.
And I live a thousand miles away
from their steep-sided valley
their wild pasture
their Shangri-la.
I want only to know they are there,
inhabit this planet
with the same sense of rightness
entitlement, ownership
as us.

They could be mustangs, misfits, feral stock
who would not be broken.
Long-legged foals, dropped
in a bitter spring
a grudging thaw.

A stallion, glaring fiercely
zealously guards his harem of mares.
He runs free
snorting, stomping, pawing the ground,
flanks steaming
in the pre-dawn air.

I want horses in the world
somewhere
who will not be ridden, bridled, tied.
Who will die of cold, or starve,
wolves
nipping at their legs, clamped to their necks
dragging them down.
Where they will lie, panting
with the preternatural calm
of prey.

But no poison, shotguns, nets,
not corralled, hobbled, led.
Or even photographed.
Just tell me they live.
Let me know
wild places like this still exist.




Wild Horses came about in the most extraordinary way. I was reading the Globe book section, and an ad for a book about saving wild horses caught my eye -- really, just a quick glance. The ad consisted mostly of a picture of the book's cover. I didn't even read the copy. Instead, the whole idea utterly captivated me, and I almost immediately got up and started writing. I think the entire piece was completed in under 5 minutes, and at the time almost written out word for word as it now appears. There was certainly no research involved!

It's natural to mistrust a poem that comes this easily. Even the hot fire of inspiration is no guarantee, since it can obscure judgment as easily as it powers the writing. So I'm still not sure if the feeling of satisfaction I have from this poem -- in the immediate aftermath of writing it -- will persist. But it's certainly strong enough that I can't resist sending it out, as well as posting it on my blog.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm Mary E.'s friend of T.B, school chums, I live in London. She was telling me about recognizing your canoe while kayaking and true to her nature, brazenly 'parking' her kayak and dropping in.
Reading your poem about the wild horses is such an amazing coincidence as I watched the Calgary Stampede for the first time (now I'm retired) this past week. I fell in love with the horses and a friend told me how wild ponies are rounded up and driven in from off the range for the bucking bronco events.
It brought to mind my girlhood summers riding my bicycle up and down the sidewalk trying to lasso fire hydrants. It ignited memories of my passion for Thunderhead and My Friend Flicka and for horses across the board even though I never lived with them, don't know how to ride or even knew one.
Thank you for this strong, poignant poem that speaks from the heart, to the heart.