Tuesday, October 24, 2017


The Geography of Pain
Oct 21 2017


The geography of pain
a lifetime accumulates
following the news.

So now
I have a map of the world
that begins with Auschwitz and Birkenau
and ends with Falluja, Rwanda, Rakine, Sana'a
Mugabe, Pol Pot, Hussein, and Mao.
Too long
for only once through the alphabet.

Ignorance is bliss, they say.
If only I could unlearn
the suffering and sin,
somehow unsee
what the camera witnessed
through its unblinking lens.

Or become at ease
with the uncomfortable truth
of proximity, and sameness,
our empathy
for those who could be us.
Because it's hard
to identify with strangers
across oceans
and datelines
and barriers of tongue,
resigned, as we are
to the human condition.
While the arithmetic of one
in whom we see ourselves
is a sucker-punch
direct to the gut;
so deeply touching
we feel what they felt.

But even then
the list of places
yellows and fades,
like the newsprint
on which the headlines were written.
The weight of suffering
that would be unbearable
if you could see every face,
inhabit the bodies
that were burned and raped.
The bloodied limbs, hacked-off
at a warlord's whim
a cleric's cruel dogma.

So now, I'm mostly inured to the agony.
And being incapable of faith
cannot console myself
with illusions of justice
a loving God.

Because while the righteous died horribly, burned alive
the complicit deny, skeptics contend,
their killers fatten
the corrupt collect.
And while the survivors proclaim
their prayers were answered,
what about the dead
who as fervently prayed?

How I would I love to see
the same map from space,
green, and borderless.
But the names and places weigh on me
and I cannot let go.
A custodian of memory
who by forgetting
would betray the past.



I first tried my hand at poetry in 2001, after hearing Michael Enright interview Billy Collins on his Sunday morning show on CBC Radio. Billy Collins' conversational tone, wry humour, and everyday themes demystified and simplified the whole idea of poetry. He didn't take himself at all seriously. And since I'm not much of a story-teller (not to mention prone to instant gratification!), poetry seemed a far more tempting medium to this aspiring writer than the short story's longer-form narrative; or worse, the even more feared novel, and its years-long commitment!

But I've also had to restrain myself from being too political in my writing. Or from bewing an advocate, a a champion of causes. Because I generally find this works poorly in poetry. It tends toward sanctimony and self-righteousness and proselytizing, and ends up sounding presumptuous and pompous and preachy. I'd rather argue that kind of thing, as well as read it, in an essay than a poem. As a result, I've pushed myself to be more personal; not confessional, which makes me uncomfortable, but still personal. Which is also hard for me, since my life is rather boring and my life experience limited. So it was another Michael Enright interview that led me to revisit this poem, which then consisted only of the opening stanza. Here, it was with Dennis Lee. He recited some of his well-loved children's poems. But he also read some heartfelt and hard-hitting political stuff. And I suddenly felt free to be political, as well. Not in a partisan sense, but in the sense of someone engaged with the world.

I'm also a news junkie, and realize that over the decades I've constructed my map of the world through the narrow aperture of tragedy and natural disaster and human perfidy. I have all these places in my head – mostly exotic and remote – and they are all touched by evil or misfortune. (And an astute reader will notice that the poem is concerned more the misfortune that comes from human depravity than natural disaster: not unexpected, from a misanthrope like me.) It was this unfortunate geography that gave the poem its starting point. Although I much prefer the view from space that ends it: “green, and borderless.”

No comments: