Monday, March 5, 2018


Black Bile
March 1 2018


I say melancholy
over and over again.
Until all I hear is sound.
Patter, piffle, bafflegab,
or one of those long compound German words
of Teutonic exactness,
all bark and phlegm and spit.

Mouthing four syllables, of equal weight
without emphasis
or intonation.
Beginning with the lips, briefly pursed.
Then the tip of the tongue
tripping lightly.
Followed by the hard guttural
against the roof of the mouth,
and ending in a clenched exhalation of air
that becomes a sigh
if left to linger.

In the archaeology of words
black bile.
But unlike its namesake, bitter-sweet.
A mix
of rumination
disenchantment
self-pity, perhaps.
But more detached, in its sadness
than a good cry.

If yellow bile's fire
then black bile is earth.
Soil's dry metallic taste.
Its iron and chalk.
Its pungent fruit, and slow rot,
sweet hay
fresh manure
old barn.

Why does blackness
carry so much weight?
Black lie, black sheep, black witch,
black eye
the blackest of depths.
Black arts, black magic, black death,
the black dog
of the deeply depressed.
The dark night of the soul
and the darkly eternal unknown,
transcendent with wonder
as well as despair.

I am suffused with spleen
caustic as gall.
I am rich dusky oxblood.

I am wallowing
around in myself;
the bitter taste
in back of my throat,
the warm dark soil
it feels I'm under.



I was reading Rafael Campo's poem The Four Humours. The final of 4 sections is called Melancholy. This is a word that has always appealed to me: I enjoy the literalness of its roots, absolutely true to the original Greek. I love the sound and the “mouth-feel” of the word. And its nuanced meaning appeals, because I am often melancholy, and I identify with its combination of deep reflection and tempered feeling.

“Black bile”, though, seems so much more intense and emphatic than its English descendant. And there can be no doubt about its implication: the prejudice of black, the bitter poison of bile.

This piece is less linear than my recent work. It leans more heavily on mood and sensation than story-telling or constructing an argument. You might think I was depressed when I wrote this. I was not. It was much more of an intellectual exercise in exploring my response to this word than it was an expression of my state of mind.

No comments: