Sunday, February 18, 2018



Pulling the Pump
Feb 18 2018


It took 3 strong men
to haul up the pump
from its cold dank well.
The dead weight
of a hundred feet of water
in stiff black pipe.
The seized device,
a dense stainless-steel torpedo
trailing rust, and dark mineral water
as it emerged from its hole.

A deep freeze
in late January
when the new year
seemed already old.
Could there be a worse time
for the taps to run dry   –
    –   a belch of air
a slow trickle
a final drip?

So they dug through 4 feet of frozen snow
to get at the well,
icy clouds of breath
hanging heavily
before dry winter air consumed them,
faces red
beards white with frost,
big calloused hands
exposed to the elements.

The thick hands
of men who work in the cold.
Were they born that way,
manly men
who self-select
for hard physical labour?
Or would my hands be as strong
if I felled trees
or raised food
or broke through frozen ground?

My grandfather
had the muscle memory of his trade
and the big hands
of manual labour.
To a little boy
they were magnificent,
enveloping him
in thick powerful warmth.
He was born in the 19th century
and here I am in the 21st
with my soft skin
and thin hands,
good for ballpoint pens
and tapping on a keyboard.

I watched how they worked,
oblivious
to penetrating cold,
joking
and cursing
and sure of themselves.
Three strong men
with big competent hands
inured to the elements,
answering the call
to replenish the water
on which all life depends.



I was tempted to mock myself by calling my hands “girly”. But, of course, in the early 21st century this would be – quite correctly – unacceptably sexist. “Manly men”, OK; but not “girly”!

And on top of being a relatively small person with citified hands, I suffer from Reynaud's syndrome: the small arterioles in my hands (and feet) are hair-trigger even when it's above freezing, constricting down so that my extremities quickly turn blue (or white or both) and painfully cold, and then stubbornly stay that way. So I watch these guys work with incredulity, then envy. This happened years ago. Actually, a couple of times. One was just the pump. The other time, the well went dry, and had to be hydro-fracted. Not an easy thing to get done, in the middle of winter. Was there a third time? Anyway, I certainly recall them digging down into frozen clay-like soil to replace part of the housing as well.

More and more of us become less and less competent at the basic necessities of daily life. We don't make things, fix things, or work with tools. We're useless at taking care of ourselves when thing go wrong. Or worlds are increasingly virtual, not real. I'm impressed by the thick padded hands of working men (and wonder how they got that way!). But I'm even more impressed by their competence and self-sufficiency. Because when you're out of water, you're perilously out of luck!

No comments: