Wednesday, January 10, 2018


Terminal Velocity
Jan 8 2018


The urge to jump.

The fear, peering over the edge
that my body will act without me.

An irrational compulsion, I know.
Yet I take another step back
or tighten my grip,
the crawling sensation
of my clammy palms
against the metal bar.

The compact car
halfway across
the narrow wind-whipped bridge,
wildly rocking
as if about to lift-off.

The apocryphal man
impelled from the ledge
into the subway pit,
power pulsing
in its dingy depths.

That vertiginous look
over the edge.
The dread
of the momentary lapse, subversive thought.
Minor intent,
and the fatal consequence
it irrevocably starts,
as out of proportion
as chaos theory.
Yet I'm not sure the end
would be so painful;
the abruptness of death,
the clever brain, protecting itself
in the mind's terminal blink.

So mostly, it's the gut-wrenching plunge,
so final
so full of banal regret.
Too quick to achieve
the steady state of constant speed;
free-fall,
when the world goes still
and it feels like time
is holding its breath.

I've read how many suicides
would have wished for a second chance
half-way down.
We know this from the survivors
and think about the rest,
the fateful step
that was one too many.

But still, the ancestral fear
of snakes
                   ... height
                                      ... death
exacts its strange fascination.
How we are drawn, and repelled.
The presumption
of free will,
the mad compulsion to jump.

The crowd at my back
on the subway platform
as bodies press toward the track.
And here
on the skyscraper balcony,
a waist-high balustrade
brittle with rust.

Where I stand alone;
my fugue-like body
automaton legs.



Someone read  this poem, and came away with the impression it was about suicidal ideation. Which it isn't at all. Rather, it's about a common phenomenon called "the urge to jump from high places". I thought this would be immediately and universally recognized, and that the poem would not only make sense, but reassure readers --  as they read along and identified with the feeling -- that  they were far from alone in experiencing this fascinating and paradoxical urge.

The inspiration for Terminal Velocity was this piece, which appeared in Nautilus, a science/culture magazine (which appears both on-line and in print). I've recently begun to read Nautilus, and highly recommend it.


1 comment:

Deus Carmo said...

Gostei muito. Estou cansado, agora. Voltarei sempre a seu blogue e comentarei na medida do possível.