Saturday, December 30, 2017


Wabi-sabi
Dec 25 2017






The Japanese have a word
for the beauty to be found
in imperfection;
its artlessness,
its unaffected truth.

Because it's the needy
who bring out our best,
the cracks
that let in the light.
Because symmetry is boring,
and perfection
leaves nothing to chance.

Because if DNA were infallible,
we would still be single-celled creatures
in a warm primordial sea.

And because of all the mistakes
I couldn't help but make
to bother keeping score,
the many more
I will.

The curious object
odd, and flawed, and homely
I circle, and circle again,
compelled to observe
from every angle possible.
The broken, the quirky, the hurting
that draw me in,
the outrageous character
I cannot resist.

Like the stunted tree
that has struggled to grow
in parched depleted soil,
its rings compressed
wood dense
twisted branches bent,
I find myself circling
and circling again.
So much to see
in its imperfection;
the singular beauty
of nature's testing
in every crook, and burr, and break,
each scarred and gnarled limb.



There is the blank slate
of a newborn babe
cooing in its cradle.
While the stories written
in the parchment skin, and haggard face
of the old man on his deathbed
show the worth
of a consequential life.


How suffering, overcome
becomes us.
How transcendence emerges
beneath the glossy surface
we so artfully construct.


No comments: