Sunday, August 20, 2017



Cloudburst
Aug 14 2017


When the rain began
from misty drops
to sprinkled drips
to stiff insistent drizzle —
on and on I drove.

Until, at the flick of a switch
the sluice gates opened
and the heavens poured
and a river roiled the road.

When still, I didn't stop,
headlights a blur, lines submerged
the gravel verge invisible
as the wipers uselessly slapped.
And reference-free
all sensation of speed
was strictly theoretical,
as I gripped the wheel
eyes grimly fixed on the glass.

The sound was a dense metallic roar,
drowning out the rattles, the engine
the radio talk
my breathlessly racing heart.

So why did I push on
in this cacophony of rain?

Before it stopped, just as suddenly
in an eerily quiet calm,
when the sky broke
and the sun beamed
and the asphalt steamed and glistened
power-cleaned and cooled.

My windshield, squeegeed dry
by seesawing wipers,
squeak-squeak-squeak on the glass.



I was sitting pondering what to write, when the heavens opened and a windless rain inundated the house. I immediately thought about similar downpours I've driven through – a combination of stubborn persistence and youthful bravado – and thought this might make a poem.


No comments: